ABC Doubles Its Sunday Competition With ‘American Idol’ as the No. 1 Show

ABC Doubles Its Sunday Competition With ‘American Idol’ as the No. 1 Show

Quick Take for Sunday, May 12, 2019
(Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Ratings)

ABC Doubles Its Sunday Competition With ‘American Idol’ as the No. 1 Show

‘America’s Funniest Home Videos’ Draws Its Biggest Audience Since Early March

ABC’s ‘Shark Tank’ Improves on Its Year-Ago Finale by 22% in Total Viewers
 
ABC Sunday Prime Time (7:00-11:00 p.m. – 5.9 million and 1.0/4 in AD18-49):
ABC dominated Sunday night among Adults 18-49 (1.0/4), doubling its nearest competitors(+100% over NBC, CBS and Fox tied at 0.5/2). In fact, the Net marked its 5th consecutive week as the No. 1 broadcaster in all 4 hours of Sunday’s prime time among Adults 18-49, with “America’s Funniest Home Videos” (1.0/5), “American Idol” (1.1/5) and the season finale of “Shark Tank” (0.8/3). ABC stood as the most-watched network overall on Sunday for the 3rd week in a row (5.9 million). ABC’s “American Idol” topped the evening among Adults 18-49, ranking as Sunday’s No. 1 broadcast entertainment series for the 11th week in a row(on each telecast this season). “Idol” also finished as Sunday’s No. 1 most social program in broadcast prime time with 1.3 million total interactions.

  • In the 7 o’clock hour, ABC’s “America’s Funniest Home Videos” grew week to week by 6% in Total Viewers (5.6 million vs. 5.3 million) and by 11% in Adults 18-49 (1.0/5 vs. 0.9/5), marking its most-watched original telecast since the beginning of March – since 3/3/19.

 

  • Airing from 8:00-10:00 p.m., ABC’s “American Idol” rose from its week-earlier preliminary Fast Affiliate average by 6% in Total Viewers (7.1 million vs. 6.7 million) and held even with Adults 18-49 (1.1/5). Editors, please note: ABC’s “American Idol” aired live across the U.S., so pre-prime viewing in the Pacific Time Zone is not yet included in the Fast Affiliate averages. Last Sunday’s telecast grew by 768,000 Total Viewers and by 1-tenth of an Adult 18-49 rating point, with the inclusion of the pre-prime viewing in the National Live + Same Day ratings released by Nielsen on Tuesday.
  • At 10:00 p.m., ABC’s “Shark Tank” season finale led its hour among Adults 18-49 (0.8/3) by 33% over CBS’ “NCIS: LA” (0.6/3) and by 100% over NBC’s “Good Girls” (0.4/2). “Shark Tank” grew week to week by 8% in Total Viewers (3.9 million vs. 3.6 million) and by 14% in Adults 18-49 (0.8/3 vs. 0.7/3). “Shark Tank” improved on its year-ago season finale by 22% in Total Viewers and held even in Adults 18-49 (3.2 million and 0.8/3 on 2/25/18).

                            
Source: The Nielsen Company, Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Ratings for 5/12/19.

*COPYRIGHT ©2019 American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. All photography is copyrighted material and is for editorial use only. Images are not to be archived, altered, duplicated, resold, retransmitted or used for any other purposes without written permission of ABC. Images are distributed to the press in order to publicize current programming. Any other usage must be licensed. Photos posted for Web use must be at the low resolution of 72dpi, no larger than 2×3 in size.

Contacts
Jeff Lindsey
(818) 460-5095
jeffrey.s.lindsey@disney.com

Salima Merchant
(818) 460-6847
salima.merchant@disney.com

Pons Rongavilla
(818) 460-5615
ponciano.rongavilla@disney.com